Wednesday, January 09, 2008

tell me something...

...if you lost your 2 year old daughter for like 10 minutes in a building you are unfamiliar with filled with complete strangers would you be worried?

I found a little girl tonight...actually she was brought to my attention by someone but either way...I scooped her up and proceeded to walk through the halls of church where there were probably a couple hundred people milling about, talking, finding their coats and walking to the exits to find their way home after a busy night. Eventually the mom saw me with her darling little girl who couldn't even say her own name she was so little...probably barely 2 yrs old...and she laughed, said "oh that one's mine" and said I could just put her down and she'd be fine.

I think if I had lost my daughter I would want to know who this stranger was bringing her back and perhaps where she might have been found??? and I probably would have taken a moment to talk to my kid about not wandering off like that...while the moment is still fresh...2 yr olds memories are short people! maybe that's just me...

Maybe it's because I am a security freak when it comes to kids and maybe it's because some kids pastor friends of mine lost their daughter because she was run over by a friend in their church parking lot but I am always amazed when people don't react to having lost their kids when I find them and return them (this does happen often btway).

Anyhow, it turned out fine but seriously. It's not the losing your kid part that bugs me as much as the not caring that you lost your kid part. I get being a laid back parent..I will probably be a super laid back mom but not if I lose my kid! that would scare me...

okay...rant done...for now...

8 comments:

Burkinator said...

It might be that the parents feel they're kids are pretty safe at your church b/c of Security Freak kids' pastors like you, so they don't worry. ; )

Although it may not be true, I would prob feel like church is the safest public place possible for my kid. Still, 2 yrs old is WAY too young to be allowed to wander around a building as big as yours!

Burkinator said...

"their kids" NOT "they're kids." Sheesh. I just shouldn't write before noon. I break my own grammar-freak rules.

Beth said...

That'll preach!

Lyndee said...

Churches are the #1 target left for child molesters. Safety is a constant concern in our church and we are tiny! You go girl and preach it to all!

Mrs. B. said...

Yeah...I'd probably freak. No laid-back Mommy here...

Elaine said...

Well, being an ex-mommy (if there is such a thing) of three, the church is a safe (or was!) place for children to go astray. I myself found two in just such a condition and circled the building twice (!) before someone admitted to owning them (is that possible?). About my own, I would worry if, at that young age, they disappeared out of my sight at all since they can do a lot of damage in, like, seconds.

oregoncelticlady said...

Weird thought...the mother may not have thought of her as "lost" because it was at a church, assuming it is a totally safe place! Sadly, not true! Also, annoying is the assumption by many parents (especially at church and Youth) that others will and should watch over their childrens' behavior and activity!!
I am so glad you were there!~

Geez, just read UP and I am being soo repetitive! Oh, well, too late now!

Jamie E said...

Then there's the me's who going into crying fits the minute a certain marathon sprinter is gone about a minute and half!!!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley