Tuesday, February 05, 2008

40 days

Starting tomorrow, there are 40 days until Easter.

I wasn't raised to participate in lent and I really don't know a ton about it or it's history but I love the idea of being intentional about preparing myself for Easter. It is easy to celebrate it as just another holiday, or a big sunday for the church world...when in reality it is the crux of what I base my life on. It is my foundation. Jesus. His sacrifice. His life and death and resurrection.

So I will prepare myself in my own way for the next 40 days. I will give something up, deny myself something simple as a reminder of what is really important, as a reminder each day to stop and be thankful for the gift I have been given.

I know my girls in NC participate, we started this tradition together back in college. I think I still have a copy of the article I read that inspired me somewhere in a file. I will have to search it out. I skipped doing it last year and it was missed, I won't miss it again if I can help it. It's a good thing to include in my life.

I am just so grateful to have a relationship with God. Doing something like this could seem like a ritual or a religious thing but for me it's all about participating in the relationship I have with God in a way that is tangible.

Here we go!


Philippians 2:1-11
If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Are you giving up milk again this year? I know how much you love it! Come to think of it, you need your nutrition, so hopefully you're picking something else... :)

Lyndee said...

Cows milk is for baby cows anyway so give it up forever and try something else for this 40 day experience!
Love yah!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley