Tuesday, March 04, 2008

asking for help

One thing I constantly struggle with in my life is asking for help. I cringe on the inside when I have to ask. I don't know why. I am guessing it has to do with pride and rejection. I work with a guy who is always asking folks for help and I see how happy people are to help him, how blessed he is when things are getting done and taken care of that he can't do on his own and I think "just get over it jamie, you don't get if you don't ask, give other people a chance to participate in your life" that's my little pep talk. And so I take a deep breath and I make the call or I search the person out and I ask for help. I am getting better at just doing it..just yesterday I called several people and asked for help with something in my bathroom and again I fought the feelings of not wanting to ask but truly it is something I have to have help with so there wasn't a choice other than to keep calling people until I got the help I needed. In some ways asking for help is a lesson in humility. Needing. I don't want to be a needy individual but I do need.

I wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way? how easy or hard is it for people to ask for help...I think I will make it a topic of conversation today if I get the opportunity. I would be interested in knowing what others think about this topic...

5 comments:

Jamie E said...

Exceedingly, embarrassingly impossible for me to ask. I usually suffer thru or expect that I will get turned down...really sad.

Cookie M. said...

I think I am so so at asking for help from my immediate family. However, when it comes to asking for help from anyone else I'm just no good at doing it. I tell myself that I shouldn't need to ask for help that I should be able to do it myself, or I think no one will be able to help if I ask that they will be to busy already so on and so forth.

I think the other thing is that I myself like to help others. It's what I've always been comfortable doing. I want to help those that need me. However, I become very uncomfortable when others do want to help me. Is it an independence pride thing? I don't know or is it just something I'm not used to others helping me?

Hey if you need any help with the bathroom let me know, I'd love to lend a helping hand. I've been a little selfish lately and really need to start giving back to others =)

Jamie Willow said...

how are you at painting? I may take you up on that...I'll let you know :)

Lyndee said...

I have to ask constantly for the church and I hate hate hate to do it because we are so small and it is hard to get committments and follow thru! So when I need something I do ask but hate to do it. I know others who are always asking and they seem to have no qualms about it. Never flippin gets easy and each rejection makes it harder but you just have to hang on and keep asking anyway when it is needed. People do not read your mind and so asking is the deal.

Cookie M. said...

Sorry didn't see your comment till now. I'm pretty good at painting... well, at least I think I am!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley