Saturday, March 29, 2008

Extraordinary sized life

We were bored. Sisters with time on our hands and very little money. Out driving around looking for thrift stores. We passed this marquette...a movie theatre. Old, historic and lovely. We decided to stop and see what was showing. We had the time. It was a movie called "Big Fish". Neither of us knew anything about it but that didn't stop us. We paid the matinee prices with quarters and couch change and found seats. The ceilings were gilded, there were chandelier lights and a red curtain in front of the screen. All of a sudden the lights dimmed and up from the floor something started to raise. Slowly an old pipe organ began to play. Shortly the organ was raised to it's highest heights with an older gentleman at the keys...and for the next 20 minutes we were delighted to listen to the most whimsical music. When he finished playing we clapped and looked at each other with raised eye brows. What could possibly be next?! The red curtain was dramatically pulled aside while the movie reel began to play. It was like stepping into a time warp. Old movie trailers and even a WB frog cartoon that was clearly retro from the beginning of movie time.

And then the movie. Big fish.
Whimsical. Strange. Lovely. A new favorite.

I never wanted to watch it again.

How could any experience of this movie compare?
But tonight I needed an escape. Reality is so real, to real some times.
It was just as magical as the first time.
Imagination.
Whimsy.
Faith in the unbelievable.
Wonder at beauty.

These types of experiences refresh me.

I will end with one of the many delightful quotes:



EDWARD: My muscles couldn’t keep up with my bones, and my bones couldn’t keep up with my body’s ambition. So I spent the better part of three years confined to my bed, with the World Book Encyclopedia being my only means of exploration. I had made it all the way to the “G’s,” hoping to find an answer to my gigantificationism, when I uncovered an article about the common goldfish.

YOUNG EDWARD: “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”

EDWARD: It occurred to me then, that perhaps the reason for my growth was that I was intended for larger things. After all, a giant man can’t have an ordinary-sized life.

1 comment:

Jamie E said...

I love love love that movie....I cry every time i see it!
You should see Finding Neverland.

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley