Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I merely watched in fascination



Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open. ~B.K.S. Iyengar



So yesterday.

I woke up in WI and went off with my parents to their weekly chiro appt. I brought a book and thought I'd have some time to wait while they went and got their adjustments and whatever else they do at the chiro. yeah. I so did not read my book.

When we walked in there were people hanging from a wall. Something to do with keeping your neck curved. I wanted to laugh but I didn't. I merely watched in fascination. They would walk up to the wall, put their neck in this harness type thing and lean back...hanging from the wall. As if it were the most normal thing in the world.

The rooms where people went to have their adjustments were open and you could watch everyone else get their stuff done. I also watched in fascination as the doctors scooted from room to room and did their chiropractic thing.

After my parents were both adjusted and I met the doctor (very nice man) my mom said they had time to "wobble". oh yeah. that's what she said. I said "what the wobble are you talking about?"

She then proceeded to put a thing on her head with weights on it (the picture above) and grabbed this thing that looked like an oversized bike seat and put it on a chair. And then she proceeded to "wobble". Apparently it lubricates your spine or something. I merely watched in fascination. Before I knew it there were like 12 other people sitting in chairs also "wobbling" Remember that commercial for the toy that said "weebles wobble but they don't fall down" ??? somehow that applied.

Just when I thought I had seen it all.

And now for my opinion on everything.

As crazy as it all looked...there is a method to all the madness. This particular chiropractic center is a christian based place and between the music playing worship songs, the doc's being so kind to their patients, the community that was clearly evident between the people there doing these crazy things..there was a lot of healing going on. I even saw one lady sobbing into the shoulder of another woman who was holding her and being so gentle in the midst of whatever pain was being experienced from the inside while she was waiting for a little healing for her outside. It was very touching.

I have personally always been a fan of chiropractic's. I have curvature of the spine and had to go lots when I was a kid. Every baby I know of who has been born the natural way and has been held in the gentle hands of a chiropractor has benefited and had things solved like unstoppable mystery crying and sleeping through the night. I wore wrist braces in college because randomly I would lose range of motion and experience intense pain in my wrists and a chiropractor friend of mine offered to look at my wrist on a sunday morning and after about 2 seconds and a gentle tug I have never had wrist problems since.

So crazy as it may all be, I actually really agree with the principles behind chiropractic's and have seen the benefits. Before I left the clinic the doctor made sure to get me the contact information for a good friend of his who is also a christian and has a clinic in Nashville. I might just go and meet people. And I might go and experience a little healing too.

Plus, it all made me laugh. And they say laughter is the best medicine right?
that was one of the healthiest places I have been lately ;)

5 comments:

MauraW. said...

Thanks for the little laugh today! I've never been to a chiropractor before but I bet it would feel good =)

Beth said...

Great imagery in this post! :) I too am a fan of chiropractors. At least, of mine! She has helped my migraines a lot... (and also plays Christian music in the office!)

O My Blog! said...

Oh yeah, nothing like traction, Baby!! (no really, I like traction)

Lyndee said...

It feel so good to get better! love you hon. Use that referral!!!

sister said...

I knew it was a little crazy, but... you have a very good point. Healing is healing, no matter where it is or how it comes about.

Good process sis.

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley