Tuesday, September 16, 2008

a bit of a rant...

I was reading the senior pastor of our churches blog just now and I got all fired up. I particularly got fired up when I saw people quoting scripture for their purposes. It is so easy to manipulate things to fit what you want. Even scripture and that is partly why people have a hard time trusting christians and what they say the bible says because so many have taken things out of context and somehow twisted things from the bible to prove their point.
Ug.
I told you this was a bit of a rant. Blame my pregnancy hormones.

The thing that got me was that in the debate going on in the comments someone used a scritpure and basically said that "everything is permissible" so why not do whatever...essentially that is what I read in a ton of what people were replying. It made me wonder if people actually read their bibles anymore. I mean...the scritpure reads "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible for me, but I will not allow anything to control me." 1 Cor 6:12 That is so much different then "everything is permissible" Any decision you make in this life you could somehow justify in the end. That is the problem with making decisions based on the moment and current need instead of on your values. This applies to so much more than money matters. I realize we live in a post modern culture where truth is relative but I don't buy it. I think truth is truth and you live your life from what that truth is.
I mean. Ug.
Sorry. I am getting it out of my system blog style. The crazy thing is that the issue talked about on his blog isn't what got me riled up. It was the logic people were using for their arguments either way. Clearly post modern is taking over the worlds thinking. How can we possibly communicate truth and values that don't change with circumstances in this day and age?

I am a fan of making decisions based on my beliefs not the other way around. okay. deep breaths. I haven't eaten in a while (which means I haven't puked in a while...) so maybe that explains my rant to an extent.

on to my next meeting!

(ps. I have had some better moments with this pregnancy...I can't say better "days" yet...but moments...it's a step up and for that I am grateful. Thanks everyone for praying for me. That is the most help it seems.)

4 comments:

Lance said...

It is nice to see some emotion other than ugh. Love you. Hubby

O My Blog! said...

Logic? What's that? lol

You are right though, most people justify their lives and decisions based on a snippet. It's so they don't have to change and it's a good way to keep one leg in the secular world.

Lance is right, you ARE all fired up! YOU GO GIRL!!

MauraW. said...

Jamie we need more people like you!! I agree 100% with what you said.

Lyndee said...

Atta girl! I don't always make the best decisions but I have learned not to manipulate scripture to defend my rashness. I think reading the Bible every year is a good plan for Christians so they can really stay in the flow of the whole picture!
Love you honey!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley