Sunday, November 02, 2008

following a call

when I was in college I knew that I was there to learn something. I didn't think my major of kids ministry was it but I knew that for a season that was what I was to study and participate in. I graduated college and never truly felt called to a specific ministry or profession. I did how ever feel called to work at Cedar Valley Church. I took a job in the building knowing that it was just a matter of time if that was where God wanted me (and somehow I knew it was) for doors to open. 8 months later I was hired full time. I wondered during the 8 months if I was crazy but I knew i had to be faithful to what God had called me to do, which was to serve at this church. When I left it was with peace that I was no longer called to that community. But this left me wondering what my next step would be...I knew that it meant being a good wife, devoting myself to my husband and my marriage but beyond that I was not sure. I took a job that was similar to what I had "done" before but did not have peace about it. I worked there and kept things afloat...I may have added a little bit of value but not much, which I knew and was not happy about but it wasn't feeling like a fit to me and I was less and less at peace with being there. add into that equation all of the sickness I was struggling with and it felt all wrong.
Now here I am about to start a job that pays enough but very little really but I feel at peace. Why I feel at peace I don't know...maybe it is a stepping stone God has for me and maybe it's a place of learning to trust God for things I can't provide myself, and maybe it's a way for me to connect and grow and flourish in a new setting where I have been struggling....those are only a few of my guesses right now...it could be something totally different. One thing I know though is that sometime when God calls you to do ministry even to just one family and you are obedient...people doubt you and think you are being stupid. But I can't deny that this is the path God has set before me, I know my saviors voice and I know that he guides my steps and I know what it's like to ignore his call and go down a path that leads to complete unrest. I will live with some thinking I am being stupid because ultimately it is my heavenly father I answer to. In the other situations I can only do what I can do. I am at peace and I know how easy it is to doubt but I have not felt this sure about God's leading in a while so I must go with it. The fruits of this next endeavor may not be financial but I have a feeling they will be priceless.

7 comments:

Mrs. B. said...

Jamie - These people and their daughter will be so blessed by your presence in their lives. And I'm sure you will be blessed in turn.
Love you.

O My Blog! said...

You are so amazing and have so much to offer, this family is in direct fire of big time blessings!

outofneutral.tv said...

I'm very happy for you Jamie and I'm praying for you in this season!

Elaine said...

Thanks for posting about staying true to the path. I'm inspired by that and encouraged to stay on my path. It's good to have that peaceful feeling about what one is doing and knowing that one is in the right place at the right time ... where one should be ... where one can do some good.

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Ah! So you got the job then? Very cool! Proud of/happy for you...

orangeninjashavemorefun said...

I loved this post.

Lyndee said...

As I stand working hard for the family God sent me to and sometimes wondering what will come of it I so know how others simply do not understand. Do not listen. You are their answer and they are yours for some reason that God has. It will turn out well. God is faithful. Romans 8:28 is my mantra!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley