Thursday, July 09, 2009

a new leaf

I spent years and years being very good at my job and at my friendships.  Now I find myself with no job and very few friends.  (close by friends is what I mean when I say that...I have gobs of far away friends!  thank heaven!)   I also spent years and years with no love life and no need to cook...home economics was a class in high school that I enjoyed but really hadn't needed to practice.  Now I have a rather major love life...aka marriage...and I have a home to take care of.  My how times have changed.  I am a bit out of my element but I am ready to embrace it.

This last year I was merely surviving.  I finally have my health back and I am ready to thrive, not just survive.

I spent a week with my brother and his family...I already posted a note about how dear of a relationship I have with his wife, Ashley.  That week watching their home function, their kids loving and living, their marriage working so good (I know it's not all roses...no marriage is people.) the way Ashley creatively made her home lovely and inviting.  
Well, I left inspired.  
I want my home to have the stamp of my personality in it and on the walls.  I want my marriage to be filled with love and respect.  I want Judah to have a joyful childhood with structure and freedom.  I want to serve delightful meals on delightful dishes.  I want my home to be peaceful because it has the presence of God in it, not just because we are drama free.  

I spent yesterday arranging and decluttering and hanging photo's in our bedroom.  I am finally feeling like this is "our" home instead of me living in "lance's" home.  

I have cooked two really nice meals that were a little more complicated than I normally do. The first was enjoyed by all, the second my hubs slept through and I ate alone..but still it was worth the effort.  Next time he's awake he can enjoy it too...he's a hard workin' daddy-o and needs his beauty sleep :)  

They may seem like baby steps to someone who is a pro at keeping a home...but I am a newby and for me these things are a big deal.  

I have elected this scripture verse as my home making verse.  This is what I aspire to create in my home...
Philippians 4:8
Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.



10 comments:

Rae Nolt said...

Oh Jamie...

This post is ONE of my all-time favorite! Love it! I'm in the same boat with you about making your house a home!

Enjoy this time!

Burkinator said...

Love the new blog theme design.

I am working on similar issues myself these days (sans the newborn). That whole moving into "his house" thing is not easy, especially when you've had your own house for so long ... if we figure it out, we could write a book and call it, "Treading Lightly." ;)

Jamie Willow said...

ROTFL! Burke!! you write the book, I'll write the forward ;-)

Mrs. D said...

I could have written this post myself Jamie! I'm not the BEST homemaker on the block either! I'm still learning (after 5yrs of marriage, 1 child and another on the way) how to be a wife, mother, homemaker, cook, cleaning lady, etc... I wish I was better at running my household, but I know it will come sooner or later! Like you said, baby steps ...
As Ashley has inspired you, you have inspired me as well ... !

Mrs. B. said...

Jamers...I feel like the least inspiring person sometimes. I feel like the MOST miserable housekeeper. Always striving to be better. I have sooo many ideas floating around in this little head and never seem to get to them.

I'm so excited for you in this stage in life. You are a wonderful mother, wife and homemaker. Can't wait to watch you blossom!

Jennalu said...

It is so awesome to read a blog like this and actually know who is writing it! It like the ones we see on tv and it is not reality when you have family that is your best friend and an encouragement too! Bless you both!

ladycarmenquixote said...

This is awesome! I think people really devalue the job of turning a "house" into a "home". Simple things like making it beautiful and welcoming really add to the atmosphere of the home being a place where your family can feel safe and unwind.

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

I beg to differ that you were not a cook prior to marriage. Hello?! Your fabulous stew-served-in-pumpkins + whole fall harvest meal comes to mind! Amazing not only for the fare served and the aplomb it was served with, but because it brought together me and my DH...as you well know. But that's another post altogether! :)

Natalie said...

Incredibly inspiring.

Matt and Kristi Tart said...

I love, love, love your honesty and vulnerability, Jamie. Even after 12 years of marriage and 7 years of children, I'm still working on balancing raising children, keeping a home free of clutter (heck, I consider it a good day if there are no dirty dishes when I go to bed!) meals - OH, cooking...so challenging for me, and spending quality time with my best friend and husband...I'm so glad that you are finally feeling ALIVE and ready to enjoy the journey!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley