Friday, February 05, 2010

legacy

We do not live in a vacuum. Everything we do somehow effects others.

There is nowhere else this is more obvious than in a marriage.

There were a lot of years where I thought what I did only really effected me. I think it is a lie of the single life.

As my husband deals with some of the things I brought to the marriage and I deal with the things he brought, it is even more obvious to me.
As I think about how I want to raise my son and how I want him to learn and grow into a good man it is even more real and seems so much more important. Probably because he is so innocent.

Some people still buy into the idea that they can do things that don't effect others when they are married...you can see the effects of that thinking ending in divorce and hurt....it rarely leads to people feeling closer and more trusting. That what they do doesn't matter in the lives of their kids...oh the kids I have seen over the years carrying burdens placed on them by their parents. (kids camp prayer time...it would break your heart to hear the things kids cried to God about...)

So as I try to wrap my mind around the concept that everything...and I mean everything I think, do, say, believe, act on...that everything matters...to my husband, to my son, to the friends I love, to my family...I think this filter causes me to want to make better choices. Not because I'm a people pleaser but because I don't want to be a people hurter. (apparently hurter is a word cause spell check didn't give me the red line...)

I have spent a lot of years thinking about legacy. About what I want to leave in the lives of those I love. Now that I am a wife and a mom I think about it even more.

4 comments:

Burkinator said...

Amen!

Natalie said...

yep everything we do, every decision we make does affect others, especially those closest to us.

Jamie E said...

I always think of that song Generations. This is so true. I have a story for you, maybe if you have time you can call me some late night? It's pretty awesome.

Lindsay said...

i have a little surprise for you on my blog :-)

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley