Friday, March 26, 2010

listening

The desire to be quieter and listen more and to push back the "white noise" is strong. I desire to hear God speak in my life...and it is my experience that God doesn't yell...he whispers.

Today he whispered to me. And I was listening. I doubted at first that it was really Him...but decided I'd rather look foolish than ignore a whisper from God.

So I picked up my phone, I changed my plans and within an hour knew that God had directed my path for a very specific reason. An impromptu visit to a friend i hadn't talked to since before christmas, a few moments to catch up and share what we were doing "these days"...and then the phone rings. My friend doubles over and begins to cry...she can barely breathe and hands me the phone. A dear elderly friend of hers has passed. I talk with the people on the other side of the phone while my friend cries and tries to regain her composure. Such deep sadness and what a loss. I knew I was there for a reason. As our babies played on the floor and we talked, prayed and tried to make sense of this loss, I knew I was there for a reason. No one should be alone when they find out something like that. And for some reason God chose me to be by her side.

I am so glad I did not ignore the whisper...and that I had turned down the white noise so I could hear...

God is good.
I don't ever forget but sometimes I don't remember.
Today was a great reminder.

If you think of it would you please keep my friend in your prayers?

4 comments:

Burkinator said...

Good story. I know why He chose you to be there. It's all about being available and being a listener. Will be praying!

Cherish said...

My heart goes out to your friend...she will definitely be in my prayers. I am so glad that God whispered to you for you to be there for her. May God heal her broken heart.

Beth said...

Mmmm. Beautiful. I love our God. He is so... like that.

Thank you for the reminder to listen.

Love you, too!

Lisa Groves said...

It's been so long since I visited you my dear. What a perfect day to hop on by. Thank you for the fantastic reminder to stop and listen when He speaks. I've been there too and it feels so good to know you were exactly where you needed to be.
Yes, I will pray for peace for your friend today.

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley