Sunday, November 07, 2010

beware: lots of animal pictures in this post...dun dun dun..

So this is the instructor...he is instructing someone :) I was waiting my turn. We had just spent a little over an hour in a classroom learning about our cameras which was awesome.

Photobucket

This first exhibit we stopped at was low lighting behind glass. And the cats were pacing around which made it hard to get a good picture. The funny thing about "motion" photography is that you actually are trying to catch the animal in a moment of "tension" where they are about to move, or they just stopped moving...like a crouch or a pounce or a turn or something like that...

Photobucket

There were 14 of us in the class so it was a little tricky to get in a good spot to actually take photos. Some of the people were nice and would move so others could get a turn and others were pretty oblivious of anything but their own camera.

Photobucket

Here is another from behind the glass in low light. I really like how this one turned out.

Photobucket


The next exhibit we visited was behind a fence. You can see the fence behind the animal in this picture but notice that you can't see the fence I was shooting through...(well not obviously anyways) that was one of the lessons he taught.
Finding a spot where the fence is in the shade, extending your lens as far as it will go and lean as close to the fence as you can get (but never touching the fence as it can damage your camera). I never really got a great shot of any of these guys but I did get a few with out the fence. I would like to go back and practice this one more later.

Photobucket

Now this one you see the fence still but I liked it so here ya go :)

Photobucket

Next up was the tigers. I am sad to say that I did not have my camera set up the way I was supposed to, I could have gotten way better pictures if I had. But it was a lot to learn so quickly and I was worrying about one thing and forgot about another. ha. such is life.

Photobucket

This is a cool pic of the cat even though it's super super dark...

Photobucket

There were actually two Tigers but I was more interested in the white one...

Photobucket

But here is a pic of the other just to prove he was there :)

Photobucket

Now this picture was SO dark when I took it but I lightened it on my computer...ug...I wish I had had my camera set up right....this could have been so great...live and learn :)

Photobucket

Now this is one of my favorites from the day...I mean, look at those paws! dang!

Photobucket

This is my second favorite Tiger picture...what a beautiful animal...and powerful.

Photobucket

And now for a couple pictures of a gross little animal..lol..well, if you love slimy lizardy things you might like these...
These were taken indoors with window light coming from behind...and a flash light on the little buggers face to help with focus (or something like that...)

Photobucket

I just really do not like reptiles.

Photobucket

A few of my classmates giving it a go. I wonder if anyone got any great pics of this little guy.

Photobucket

And now for my favorite...this was outside and we were like 10 ft away. It was awesome. This is the largest species of owls, I think it's called a Eurasian Owl or something like that. Totally gorgeous and amazing.
She was on the handlers arm the whole time (minus a moment where she tried to take flight) so it was a little tricky to get a good angle for cropping later with space around the owl...

Photobucket

This is what most of my pics looked like at first...but I changed angles and was able to get less of the handler and more of just the owl.

Photobucket

You can still see her arm but loved the light in this one.

Photobucket

She looks like she is missing part of her beak or face or something in this one...lol

Photobucket

We were all going crazy taking her picture. I think her name is Arcamedes.

Photobucket

This is right after she tried to take flight and was settling back onto the handlers arm. It was really beautiful. I was amazed at the handlers patience.
PS. Did you know that every time a bird is about to take flight it crouches down, pulls its wings in and poops? yup. that is how you know a bird is about to take off...it lightens it's load so to speak...hmm...aren't you glad you read my blog?

Photobucket

Such a lovely bird.

Photobucket

More loveliness.

Photobucket

I love the owl in this one but not so much the background because of the big shadow...

Photobucket

Now this one on the other hand is perfection. I do believe I will print this one and keep it in view. I love it so much.

Photobucket

“A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise old bird?”



It is hard to put into words but this day just felt exciting. To be learning, to be growing, to be looking towards the future...it was a great feeling.








4 comments:

Andrea said...

very cool pictures, awesome that you have the opportunity to learn more about your camera and take pictures! can't wait to see what else you share!

Rachelle said...

Looks like a great class for learning camera control and angles...

The tiger shots look like you've gone out on safari!

A lot of the images you are unhappy with could be tweaked in a photo editing program. If you use PhotoShop, PioneerWoman has some FREE actions that will "boost" and "sharpen" the images beautifully.

Jamie Willow said...

I haven't really taken the plunge into the processing side of things yet...

I would LOVE to have photoshop and learn it, it seems to be the best out there.

I just use iphoto for simple little things. I have Aperture but no idea how to use it...and my first encounter with it was not good and I've been chicken to get back into it. Better just bite the bullet though I suppose :)

thanks for the input ladies!

Blah Blah Blah said...

Because I'm 9 in my head I can't get past the bird poop information and must spread it at the dinner table to my girls.
I like the tiger pictures!

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley