Friday, January 20, 2012

twenty-four-seven-ness

There are many things in mommy hood you can prepare for. You can do things like buy the right furniture, decorate the nursery, have a college fund started, buy the things you know you will need for day to day life with a child...and do things like learn how give a new born a bath, or potty train a 2 yr old, or figure out the correct medicine dosages needed for a fever, or how to make your own baby food, or how to sooth a crying baby, or how to childproof your kitchen...and the list goes on. So many things you can prepare for and do well.

But the thing that no one can prepare a new mom for is what I like to call the "twenty-four-seven-ness" of the job. The no breaks, no relief, no full nights sleep, no turning off the internal awareness we have of our kids once they are placed in our arms (heck, in our bodies for that matter...it starts when we are pregnant). There is no preparing for it. You can know about it, and see others experiencing it...but you can't prepare for it. And once you are in the middle of it, you can't turn the train around. lol. It's a new way of life. And it is exhausting.

But along with the exhaustion comes never missing a beat, being in tune with our babies, being 100% completely invested into their little lives. It is what makes the twenty-four-seven-ness worth it. So incredibly worth it.

If you have kids, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't have them yet, but think you will someday...you will find out.

So on that note, I am going to sleep. Sleeping when baby sleeps is an important part of surviving the twenty-four-seven-ness...you never know when they will need you. Need...not want, need. No pressure ;-)

I read a great article recently about moms with one child. It was not so long ago that I only had one...and this article rang so true. Yes, two kids is more work...but one kid was a lot of work too. I am hoping that some day the two will keep each other occupied and happy and it won't be as intense as only having one. I guess time will tell :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

One of my friends had her baby new year's day and she is at her weakest, not yet adjusted to the no deep or long sleeps and is having a super hard time breast feeding as baby is not latching on well and then sits there and doesn't eat constant so feeding takes a long time :( How do you sleep or nap when baby does if you also have a 2 yr old?? :(

Lib at Truly His said...

I do not have children yet, but always wonder... "when am I ready?" It is good to know... never! LOL:)

Lacy said...

Amen. I am also hoping for them to play together...sooner rather then later:)

Rae Nolt said...

OH Jamie...I can SO relate to this post. Love haing friends who KNOW what I'm going through and can blog about it when I don't have the time! ;) AMEN!

Becca Groves said...

Thanks for this post and thanks for passing along this article. I have thought of this so often lately...the 24/7. Rory has been working like crazy this month and I just want a day off. So I'm looking into a sitter, one day a week, just for five hours. I told her, and I may just stay and take a nap while you're here...if that's okay with you. :)

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley