Friday, March 02, 2012

mergency

So it was an interesting weather day.

Gorgeous blue skies, warm weather, breezy. Until it wasn't.

And suddenly I knew we needed to head for the cellar. I mean. If it was just me, or just me and one kid, I might not have. Because we could have moved pretty quick to take cover. But me with two kids? yeah. I knew I needed to go sooner than later...so we packed up a bag of essentials and grabbed the diaper bag and some blankets and headed for the cellar.

The cellar only has access from outside. By the time I gathered us all up, it had started raining quite hard. The door has to be lifted and then propped up with a piece of wood. You have to bend down to get to the stairs and then into the dirt cellar. I had put Lucas in the Ergo and was wearing him which turned out to be the very best idea I could have had. No idea how I would have done it otherwise. I probably wouldn't have been able to...not with out injury. So we got our money's worth out of that baby purchase all in the course of 40 minutes! And I was only sort of drenched...not completely. ha.

Photobucket

Lucas had just woken up from a nap...so he wasn't sure what was going on. But he was happy I was snuggling him. I got a little nervous though when his tummy started rumbling...I did not want to change a poopy diaper in the basement during a tornado. I was happy he held off for that...ha. Tornado or a blow out? which is worse? so not an easy answer ;)

Photobucket


Judah was having a blast. He kept saying "I wike this mergency mommy! it's fun!" Oh to be a kid again. Such blissful ignorance and innocence.

Photobucket
The iPad makes for great storm time passing entertainment.

Photobucket

So does the water table we had stashed away for the winter. Judah was having a blast.


After a half hour of loud storms and sirens and such, I was texting with my friend Christy who also lives in East Nashville and she said the worst had passed (she didn't have a basement...in fact, it's pretty rare to have one here). She was my light in the storm. Thankful!

I hauled just the kids out at first...after I was certain we weren't going to be heading back down, I went and retrieved our things. I am thinking a permanent stash of emergency supplies down there is going on the "to do" list.

Photobucket

I am glad we got through it, and I am sorry that it wreaked havoc on so many others. We continued watching the news coverage after we went back upstairs, it was crazy to see the storms carrying on so intensely.


Photobucket

The only effects we saw on our house was the grill had moved from one side of the patio to the other. We were kind of hoping it was smashed and ruined so we could get a better one...haha...but my husbands own handy work thwarted that plan...he recently made the bench that blocked it from falling and getting ruined. Guess we'll eek one more summer out of that rusty ol' thing.

Photobucket

So the reward for a storm like that is the sky afterwards...isn't it lovely?

Photobucket


A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease.
-John Muir


1 comment:

Burkinator said...

Glad you guys are safe and have somewhere to take cover. The pic of Judah in the cellar made both of us laugh out loud. He looks so soggy and stunned, but at least he thought it was an adventure. Gotta go reset our weather radio now before we go to bed. It's heading our way, but so far no tornado watches for CLT...

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley