Friday, July 13, 2012

Gettin' all crafty up in here!

My house has a few rather large empty walls that I think look silly when you put lots of tiny things on them...
so I just leave them blank in the hopes of finding something dramatic to fill them some day.  

I'm going to tell you all about how I filled one of my walls, but you are also going to get a glimpse into my normal life...
not my "prettied up for a blog" life. ha ;)

We went to the fairgrounds for the monthly Flea Market here in Nashville and I found this HUGE
 picture frame, they wanted 20$ but I only had 15$ with me...they let me have it for that.  Score!

I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do with it, so it hung like this on the wall for a long time until inspiration hit 
(hello pinterest, how are you today?)

Photobucket

(diaper changing station! kinda messy, but at least no dirty diapers laying around...)

Off to JoAnne Fabric I went when my MIL was in town,
she loves it there and is always so helpful when it comes to all things fabric related.

Photobucket

My darling husband took this stealthy shot of us doing our shopping...
I bought cork board to cover the space and a pretty fabric to cover the cork board.

(paradon my post partum big looking belly...it's taking some real effort to shrink this 2nd time around...sigh...)

Photobucket

My MIL and my DH both helped me make it happen.  It was a fun afternoon nap activity...I think we all would have rather been napping, but the kids had that privilege this particular day, not us...so crafting it was!

I left it hanging on the wall in its simplest form for ages.  I knew I wanted to find some cute push pins and I wanted to somehow put photos on it for display...but I didn't know how I was going to go about it.  I finally figured out that there were no push pins I really liked all that well that I wanted to pay the prices people were asking...so I decided I would Do it Myself! woot!

Did I mention I own a hot glue gun now?  yup.  I caved in and bought it a while back for a diaper cake project I did.  Well, I pulled that bad boy out of my hot glue gun purse and went to town! 
(yes, I store it in a purse, it works people)

Photobucket

I found some cute embellishments at Michaels as well as some simple push pins and vwala!
Oh yes, and I had a bag of buttons I bought a bazillion years ago (roughly 4).

Photobucket

I only burned my fingers a couple times...and I didn't poke myself even once...I was worried.

Photobucket

It really didn't take much time or effort.  

Photobucket

I like how they turned out.

Photobucket

simple!

Photobucket

I also bought a mat...it's a 5x7 but I put a 4x6 picture of my boys I really like in it,
this way the background fabric still showed through which I liked.

Photobucket

all finished!  and ready to add more photos when I find/take/print some I like...

Photobucket

And here is the end result.  I really like it.  I look forward to adding to it and it will also be easy to switch the pictures out which is fun.  And I suppose, I don't even have to just put pictures up, the sky's the limit! so long as a push pin will hold it up :)

(sorry, but this time there is in fact, a dirty diaper in the picture. real life folks.)

2 comments:

Lacy said...

This is so spectacularly perfect! Nicely done! I recently bought a big cork board to put fabric on as well...and I might just have to borrow your adorable push pin idea:) So cute!

Courtney said...

Awesome! I am so impressed you didn't poke yourself, and I actually think you look amazing in your picture. So talented and it turned out beautiful! I'm inspired to dress up my boring board now. :)

Followers

So Much to Love

I love people. I love bright eyes. I love my sons, Judah & Lucas. I love laughing. I love my ringtone. I love love. I love Jesus. I love tattoos. I love milk. I love creative expression. I love smiles. I love Philippians. I love bridges. I love my house and haven. I love a rainy night. I love doing nothing. I love almonds and banana chips. I love music. I love cowboy hats. I love Anna Maria Island. I love (diet) dr.pepper. I love a good story. I love wildflowers. I love to fly. I love rod iron. I love babies. I love going to the movies. I love midnight. I love allegra. I love sunsets. I love long kisses. I love the color red. I love starshollow. I love community. I love doing life with friends. I love witty banter. I love jessilynn.com. I love my family. I love pretty things. I love cruisin' with my girls. I love remembering when. I love authentic individuals. I love hot tamales. I love when kids giggle. I love Lance. I love bonfires. I love finding people I thought I'd lost. I love yard sales. I love tacobell. I love seeing people do good. I love violins and steel guitar. I love driving to the airport. I love seeing people around me succeed at their dreams. I love being included. I love flipflops. I love blogging. I love long talks. I love dreaming.

Always On My Mind

Welcome to my blog.  I am glad you stopped by!  I choose to write my thoughts and share the joys of my life in this forum.  I hope you will read and say hi when you can!  Blessings!
Jamie
Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. 
~Horace Greeley